Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Hand-crafted Beauty:: Savon de Marseille Soap {I HAVE MOVED TO ROSE &IVY JOURNAL!)

To discover more beauty, please visit Rose & Ivy Journal by clicking here!

I have long been a lover of bars of soap and I will be the first to say that liquid shower gel has never been in my beauty repertoire.  During college I worked at a beauty boutique that sold many luxurious soap brands from France and it was there that I really fell in love with bars of soaps from brands like Prè de Provence  and Claus Porto.  One of my favorite types of soap is Savon de Marseille which is a luxurious soap that has an olive oil base and is infused with French green clay.  Savon de Marseille has a storied history and has been around since the 1600s, it is typically made with water from the South of France, French olive oil and clay and is left to dry in the breezy Mediterranean air. This soap is loved because it is incredibly gentle and can be used on all skin types, especially sensitive skin and can be used on the face and body.  This recipe is incredibly easy to follow and the result is pure luxury - it is gentle on my skin and the clay is great at removing impurities that summer weather can bring.  Once finished, you will be left with a lot of soap, so it makes an amazing gift to give just because.  Continue for more...

Ingredients:
5 lbs of olive oil soap (see where to buy below)
14 teaspoons of French clay
10 drops of lavender essential oil

Special Equipment: Soap Mold

Directions:
1. Place water into a shallow saute pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.  Place a heavy bottomed sauce pan into water.  
2. Cut five pounds of olive oil soap base into squares and place into sauce pan.  
3. Stir until base begins to melt.  
4. Once melted, add 14 teaspoons of French clay and 10 drops of lavender essential oil.
5. Pour mixture into soap mold and allow to set for 4 to 5 hours.
6. Once set, remove from mold and cut into squares following lines of mold.  
7.  Wrap in parchment and then in decorative paper of your choice. 
Makes 18 bars of soap

Where to Buy::
Scalloped Gold Paper - Paper Source
Olive Oil Soap Base - Majestic Mountain Sage
French Green Clay - Majestic Mountain Sage
Lavender Oil - From Nature with Love
Soap Mold  Tray - Majestic Mountain Sage

*Photography & Styling by Alison 

25 comments:

  1. Oh yes!!! totally trying this when I have some time. Wha t a lovely gift! I love the warrping you´ve done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to make home soap too, in essence it's my favourite hobby at this moment of my life) Thank you so much for the recipe! Great pictures as well!
    Have a fabulous time!

    Best wishes, Alexandra
    www.svetusvet.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE claus porto! I'm going to have to try this soap. Like Albertina said, you did a beautiful job with the wrapping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty gift! These would be perfect for a hostess or shower basket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabolous idea dear
    xoxo
    happy day

    NEW POST!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alison, this is so pretty! And so easy too -- I kinda wanna order some soap and do this with some other essential oils I have lying around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria! And thank you for making my site so pretty:)

      Delete
  7. Hi Alison! First of all, congrats to the new template, is just too adorable and so you! Love it!:) Then, I never tried to make soaps you know, I dont think I am able either! But it looks really interesting and from what you say the soaps must be good! Beautiful photos as well! Kisses and have a good day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cool! I love the idea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the new blog design! Your wrapping is so pretty, these make for a great gift.

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVING the new site - congrats!!! Love this idea, as well! xo, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tried the soap - excellent - also as a shampoo ...............thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh these would be the best homemade gifts ever! Love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stop right this minute! you made soap?! You are seriously the queen of DIY!! What a great gift. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm blown away! What a perfect gift -- luxurious soaps and lotions are just the best little indulgences ever.
    Great DIY and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely DIY and the photos are lovely too as is the way you packaged it all. GOOD JOB!!


    Ali of

    Dressing Ken

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh this is so cool!! These would make such pretty presents. Maybe I'll make them around Christmas as presents for my extended family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooo what a beautiful diy! This would be such a beautiful gift too, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bars don't have to cure at all? 5 or 6 hours is all the time needed once poured into the mold? Just want to confirm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn! That is right, just pour the soap into the mold and let set. It is that easy:) let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete
  19. This is so gorgeous! What a perfect gift!! I love all things French...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I live in France and I often go to Marseille but honestly your soaps look really more luxurious!!! Love them and as usual you're the best to make great pictures Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is INCREDIBLE! Totally going to make these for holiday gifts this year :) thanks so much for sharing! I think it'd also be great to sprinkle some fresh dried lavender on the top before the soap fully sets.

    Rose
    Blonde in this City

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a perfect gift. Coming from France I have to say that I love it.

    PS: Please follow me on blogloving, if you haven’t done it =).
    http://www.bloglovin.com/rosemode
    http://rose-charles.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  23. Excited to try this! How many oz of the clay is needed to get the amount of tsp? (The website you linked to is sold in oz).

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete